Search This Blog

Friday, March 9, 2012

Please, do not forget:

Friday: March 11, 2011: A massive 9.0 earthquake and tsunami struck near Tohoku, Japan. 15,850 deaths, 6,011 injured, 3,287 people missing. With 1,235 aftershocks.
                 
I have a special place in my heart for Japan. I grew up in a town in the Midwest, home of Oklahoma State University. The town had a sister city, Kamioka, Japan. From the time I started school until the day I left Oklahoma, this connection flavored my life. I learned a lot about their culture and history through festivals, events in school, and the exchange students. When I moved to East Tennessee, I met up with a very nice Okinawan sensei who has taught me the dance, music, and culture of the little islands of the Ryukyu Kingdom.

                With that said, you can imagine how heartbroken I was to see the destruction and aftermath of the disastrous earthquake and tsunami last year. The scenes of the people and places destroyed by natures wrath was unlike anything most people have witnessed in our lifetimes.

                In the year since, Japan has done a lot to pick up from the disaster, but there is so much to do. My Okinawan school and cultural club out of Atlanta, the Okinawa Kenjin Kai, have raised money and awareness. But, I am afraid that with celebrity, political, and disasters nearer home filling the news we have slowly let their desperate pleas weaken over here.

                I, in no way, advocate that we ignore our own who have suffered the recent natural disasters in favor of Japan. What I advocate is that we continue to remember their strife and to pray hard for them. When the opportunity arises that you can do something to help them, do not let it go. When you have a heart for giving and helping, God will provide you the strength and wherewithal to help.

Japan is still bleeding, I pray for quick mending and a better future.

How you can help:
http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/03/11/five-ways-you-can-help-earthquake-and-tsunami-victims-in-japan/

Wikipedia info on event:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sendai_earthquake

No comments:

Post a Comment