Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

My Own NaNo day 7

As I posted before, I am doing my own NaNo this month. The story is taking some new directions and I am having fun with a little of the character development.

One of the aspects of this story that I wanted to add was adoption. In children's literature, being adopted is often shown negatively. Think of Cinderella or Harry Potter? Step parents and adoptive parents are usually shown in bad lights in children's stories. I am not saying that is bad writing or a terrible idea. I thought Harry Potter was done beautifully. But, I got to wondering about the kids who had a good life with adoptive parents. There are many of them and I am not sure how well that is represented. So, for this book I decided to give one of the two teenagers the backstory of having been adopted. And, her adoptive parents are loving and kind. In fact, her parents are an integral part of the story and make up the team who are heading off on their journey. As such, I get to bring in the family dynamic all the way through. I don't expect to win awards or change the literary world, but perhaps a child out there that is happily adopted will find pleasure in reading of that in a fantasy novel.

Totals as of Day 7:


Day 1: 3,217 words
Day 2: 585 words
Day 3: 2,170 words
Day 4: 1,420 words
Day 5: 2,202 words
Day 6: 2,496 words
Day 7: 1,344 words
Total: 13,434 words so far

Goal: 50,000 or more.

No comments:

Post a Comment