Search This Blog

Monday, September 16, 2013

Sweet Home Tennessee

Hey, I know this has nothing to do with writing, but it sort of does have something to do with my art. You see I am a shutter bug. Okay, you young'ns who don't know what that means, it means I like to take pictures. But, unlike the common trend online I don't like snapping pics of my lunch or me doing a duck face in my bathroom. I love taking pictures of scenery. This love has really become something of a new thing for me in my life.

BACKSTORY! : I grew up in the exciting town of Stillwater Oklahoma. Unfortunately the most exciting part of that town was not knowing if or if not you would survive tornado season. Other than that, the excitement pretty much vanished amongst the vast flatness of the great plains. Plain is the important word there, plain: as in nothing, nada, zilch. But, just before I got out of High School my family up and moved to Tennessee, East Tennessee to be precise, which means scenery and lots of it. Since the advent of camera phones and digital cameras, I have become addicted to documenting what God provided all around me in photographic form.

A view of Cherokee lake from Panther Creek State Park.
That said, I am not by any stretch of the imagination a pro here. In fact I am so amateur that it sort of stinks some days. The only reason that my pics come out looking halfway decent is because the scenery itself is just so gorgeous it is hard not to get a good shot.

Okay, after droning on about all of this I might as well show you what I am talking about. Some of these you should recognize from my Facebook page or even a few on previous posts here. Sit back and enjoy the view. And remember, a trip to the Great Smokey Mountains is just ticket away from some of the loveliest views in the world, and with fall approaching fast those views are going to be spectacular. (Think the  Tennessee Board of Tourism will send the check now? )


A view of the lake from Harrel Park.
Sunflowers in late summer.


















A park road in the fall.

Winter scene outside my house.









<This was taken a year ago when the color was nearing its peak. In the distance you can see a strange cloud covering the view. That was a dust storm that was actually from Oklahoma that came all the way to East Tennessee. It actually made the air smell like my home state for a few days. Weird.






<This is a small bridge over Pather Creek at Pather Creek state park.













<This is one of my favorite pictures I have taken. I was up at the park taking pictures and left to go home, which isn't all that far from where this was taken. I pulled around a corner and saw this view and just knew it would make a great picture. I am glad I did it. In front of that red barn in the distance they have now built a new house which totally ruins the rustic feel to this image. Note: That little wooden fence to the left is the boundary of the park.




          ^This is from some of my more recent photos. This is an overlook north east of my hometown. You can see all the way to Gatlinburg, at least the mountains around Gatlinburg, on a clear day like this one.





                                                                                                                         < ^  These two go together making a longer shot. The one to the left shows more of Cherokee lake.

                                                                   
<I just loved this shot looking eastward.








To give you some perspective. This was taken the same day
as the others from the lookout. Only, this was taken at
Panther Creek State Park, you might recognize it from the pics above.
If you follow the point of the arrow all the way to the tip,
you'll see where I was standing to snap pictures from the overlook. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a beautiful place to live! What a fun post and a great way to help your readers know you better!

    ReplyDelete