Search This Blog

Loading...

Friday, August 15, 2014

Blue ribbons at the Fair

Yes, it's time of year again, fair time. Round these parts it comes a bit early compared to other areas. For the second year in a row mom and I entered some items into the fair. For the first time, at this fair, I won blue ribbons. Yes 2 of them. Here are the items I entered.


If you recall from my pictures earlier this year, this is a piece I have been working on all year long. It is a style of embroidery called blackwork. This took first place in the "other" category for embroidery. (I actually beat mom in this one.)













In the "pencil" category of the fine art area I got third place with this drawing. I almost didn't enter him and went with something else, but decided it would be alright.















Mom convinced me to enter a second pencil drawing. This one was in the "Holiday hanging art: Halloween" category. Mom took first place with a stitched piece, I got second with this. I almost didn't even enter it and never believed I would've won anything for it. Now I'm glad I did.














As a side thought I decided to throw one of my knitted hats into the knitted category. I loom knit so I didn't expect this to win anything, but thought it would be fun to show it. You can imagine my surprise when I saw that it took 4th place. Mind you I think knitting has some of the most entrants in this fair, next to canned foods.












Last, and most entertaining. After we put in our craft items we learned what they were looking for in the baked goods area. The day to enter items for that was two days after the craft stuff, so we had time if we wanted to enter something. Mom wanted to put in some chocolate chip cookies, a treat this family is famous for. And I decided to put in one of our world famous vinegar cakes. It is an old recipe that isn't really complicated and very tasty. It was tasty enough to win first place! Now this long time family recipe can add "blue ribbon" to its title. I was over joyed to see it had won. (Note: What I gave them was a full sheet  cake and what was left was a tiny bite to show for the event. They did a lot of "tasting" to determine the winner.....or they really liked the cake.)





A little bit of humor struck me as I was leaving. This is the big wall at the end were some of the top winners are placed. As I passed it I realized that the top picture, the map, that's moms. You can see my dragon. AND that small piece between ours that's hard to make out, that's also moms. So, the top half of this wall was nothing but Peyton family stuff.







Now I can add award winning pencil artist, embroiderer, and baker to my list of accomplishments.

1 comment: