Search This Blog

Thursday, February 19, 2015

The Winter Wizard: Conclusion

Here's the conclusion of the story. Check it out. Also, to help me know if anyone is reading this. Please either comment here or on a link to it posted to Facebook. Let me know that I am actually reaching someone out there. Thanks for reading. Enjoy.
To read the first three segments, click the links: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3

Chris! Chris!” His mothers voice woke him up from his deep sleep. Opening his eyes, he looked around the room to see that he was home.
Mom? Where am I?”
She smiled and laughed, “Honey, you have been asleep all day. Your father is angry with you. You were supposed to go out this morning and get him some wood.”
Chris sat up and felt his head, “I don't feel good.”
She nodded, “You weren't doing well, that's why I let you sleep. You had some kind of fever...or really a negative fever. Your temperature was really low. I guess it's a good thing you didn't go out there. You would've been caught in that freak snow storm.”
Chris stopped holding his head and his eyes bugged out, “Snow storm?”
Yeah. The news says that it's the weirdest weather this state has seen in two hundred years. They've already named it some silly name. I guess mother nature likes to play games. You get some rest and I'll bring you some hot soup.” She left him to lay in his bed.
Chris got out up and walked to the window. Opening it he found she was telling the truth. There was snow and ice all over everything. Could it be true? “Did it really happen?” He asked to no one in particular.
Yes.” the old wizards voice answered.
Chris turned around to see the man sitting in his room. “You.”
It is I, the king of the Wizards of Winter. Or, really, a shadow of my former self.”
So, it all did happen. How did I survive? I thought that crystal would've killed me.”
The wizard smiled and answered, “You were willing to sacrifice yourself to save the world. That was an impressive act.”
I had no other choice. It was all my fault. I released her.”
And your choice would have taken your life. But, I gave you a gift. I turned you into a winter wizard. Giving you my powers and my strength. That way you would survive.”
          Chris looked down at himself, “Me...a wizard?”
Yes.”
Why?”
I defeated the queen over six thousand years ago and ended the ice age. Since then I have been keeping an eye on her and doing my job.”
"Your job is creating snowflakes?"
The old man laughed, "Not all of them. Winter wizards are artisans, crafting snowflakes is something I love. I can use them to create beautiful winter days, which I offer now and then. My real work has been fixing the damage from the war."
"So, what happened to the Queen?"
The wizard smiled, "She is gone forever. Your warmth killed her."
"My warmth?"
"Yes, the warmth of your spirit. Your willingness to put the worlds welfare above yours was enough to destroy her."
Chris shook his head, "What about that book? It showed..."
"Lies. It was created by her to mislead people.” The wizard looked away for a moment thinking back to the days of the first civilizations, “Back then the people did not know who to trust. Magic folk weren't uncommon, but strange to find around humans. When the lovely Ice Queen revealed her book to the people and implicated my kind against them, we became outlaws.”
So it was just a tool of propaganda.”
Not entirely. She also put into it spells, evil magic. The people weren't merely gullible, the dark magic within its pages corrupts thinking and sows the seeds of distrust and paranoia. She could've used its power to reestablish her own terrible strength."
Chris asked, “What about you?”
As I said, I'm merely a shadow. Once this shadow passes, I will be gone forever. You must be vigilant. The threats to this world are not yet over.”
Chris looked out the window, “Wow. Are you going to teach me how to....” he turned to find that the wizard was gone, his staff resting against the wall where he had been moments ago.
 Chris held the staff and felt the power surging through it. "All that I was, is now yours." The old voice proclaimed and suddenly Chris' room was filled with the snowflakes from the lair below. Chris smiled and pointed the staff toward the window. The gray skies melted away into a beautiful blue.
A new winter wizard was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment